Yes, there are a lot of steps to this vegan version of an
exquisite Italian dessert, but they are steps you will
be glad you took!
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup unbleached flour
2 teaspoons Ener-G baking powder or
1 teaspoon Rumford baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons light olive oil
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
3 tablespoons Splenda
1/3 cup white grape juice concentrate
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in medium bowl and stir with a whisk to mix.
- Combine juice concentrate, water, vanilla and oil in another bowl and mix well.
- Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients and stir to mix, being careful not to stir bubbles out if using Ener-G baking powder.
- Spread batter into an oil-sprayed 9 x 13" pan. The layer will be quite thin. Bake for 20 minutes.
- After the cake has cooled, cut it into four strips and remove them from the pan. Wash this pan so it will be ready to assemble the Tiramisu.
2½ tablespoons powdered coffee substitute (Roma or Postum)
1½ tablespoons carob powder
3 tablespoons water
1½ tablespoons honey
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Allow to boil for one minutes. Cool.
12.3 ounces firm silken tofu
two 13.5-ounce cans coconut milk
4 tablespoons turbinado sugar
3 tablespoons Splenda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Espresso Syrup
2 tablespoons Instant Clear Jel or cornstarch
- Place all ingredients except the Instant Clear Jel or cornstarch in the blender and liquefy.
- If using cornstarch, pour ½ cup of the blended mixture into a small bowl. Add the cornstarch and stir to mix well.
- Heat the remaining custard in a large saucepan, stirring occasionally. When it begins to steam, add the cornstarch mixture and stir continually until it thickens. Allow to cool.
- If using Instant Clear Jel, sprinkle it into the custard mixture gradually while the blended mixture is moving on medium speed.
- Pour all but 2 tablespoons of the Espresso Syrup into the bottom of the 9" x 13" pan. Tilt the pan to coat the bottom. Place the cake strips back into the pan.
- Drizzle or brush the remaining Espresso Syrup on the cake.
- Pour the custard over the cake and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until it begins to set.
- Place ¼ cup of carob powder in a tea strainer, and liberally dust the top of the Tiramisu. Place in refrigerator and continue to chill until firm.
Makes 15 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
Protein 3.7 g
Carbohydrates 20.2 g
Fiber 0.8 g
Fat 13.5 g
Sodium 107 mg